It is easy to include a link to a YouTube video to a PP slide, but a little more involved if you want to embed a video.
The advantage of embedding is that it includes a video player on your slide instead of going directly to YouTube where students will see some of the suggested videos that may not be appropriate.
Add the Developer Tab to PowerPoint.
- Go to the File tab and click Options.
- Click Customize Ribbon.
- In the right pane, check the box next to Developer.
- Click OK.
Inserting the YouTube Video
- Go to the Developer tab.
- In the Controls pane, click the More Controls button.
- Scroll down to the Shockwave Flash Object and select it.
- Click OK.
- Draw a box on the slide. This is where the movie will appear.
- Go to the YouTube video in your browser and copy the video’s URL.
- Back in PowerPoint, right-click on the Shockwave Flash Object that you just created and click Property Sheet.
- Select the Movie field, right-click, and paste the YouTube URL (or CTRL+V).
- Delete any part of the URL that includes a watch?.
- Find any = character of the URL and replace it with a forward slash (/).
- Close the Property Sheet.
- Save the presentation and exit PowerPoint.
- Reopen PowerPoint.
- When you view the slide in Slideshow View, the YouTube video will be ready for you to play.
NOTE: You must have a “live” internet connection.
You can watch the video here: