Plug the microphone into the correct spot
Many computers have more than one plug such as one on the front and one on the back. Often the connectors are pink and the plug is pink too, which makes it easier to figure out which plug is the right one.
Test the microphone
- Choose START >Programs > Accessories >Entertainment and open the Windows Sound Recorder.
- Click the red Record button and speak into the microphone. If it’s working, you should see a wave form and be able to play it back.
Make sure your volume or the microphone aren’t muted or low
- Choose START > Control Panel >Sounds and Audio.
- In the Voice tab, click on Test Hardware.
- Follow the instructions in the Test Hardware Wizard.
Adjust settings in your software
- After you have the hardware set, you need to tweak the settings in the software you plan to use to record your audio.
- When you run into problems, you need to keep testing and tweaking settings until you get it just right.
- Then go back and write down your settings somewhere so you don’t forget them.