First you must make the Research button available on the Quick Access toolbar (the bar at the top of the window that contains the Save button).
- Go to the File tab and click Options.
- Click Quick Access Toolbar.
- In the Choose commands from: list, choose All Commands.
- Scroll down until you find the Research command.
- Click Add >> to add it to the Quick Access toolbar.
- Click OK.
Now that the Research button is available, you can use it to look up word definitions.
- On the Quick Access toolbar, click the Research button.
- Do one of the following:
- To look up a single word in the document, press the ALT key and click the word that you want to look up.
- To look up a phrase in the document, select the words that you want, press the ALT key, and click the selection.
- Type a word or phrase in the Search for: box and then press Enter.
- Results appear in the Research task pane.